Hideous Reasons You Didn’t Get the Gift
- You didn’t make the call to get the appointment.
- You were cultivating too long.
- You became the probable donor’s friend.
- You talked too much.
- You didn’t have a strategy.
- Failure to probe.
- Poor listening.
- Assumed too much.
- You didn’t give the donor a date to respond.
- Premature selling of the project.
- You talked about what you need, didn’t probe for what they need.
- Failure to stress benefits— too much emphasis on features.
- You were afraid of rejection.
- You didn’t ask for the gift.
- It was all about money and the campaign— and not about how the gift would change or save lives.